Sunday, March 16, 2008

Normandy beaches and Bayeux Tapestry

The first day of our trip, we went to the beaches of Normandy, which the Allies took on D-day. What a moving experience. We just haven't faced war like that in the States. We watched a short video on some of the soldiers, and I don't think there was a dry eye in the group. It was incredible. I learned so much, and appreciate so much better the history here.

Omaha beach


Map of landing beaches


Some of the graves.


Memorial at the Normandy American Cemetery.


Point de Hoc


These are the holes left by the bombs from WWII


This was the entrance to where we saw the Bayeux Tapestry.


You aren't allowed to take pictures of the tapestry, so I didn't. However, it is an elaborate tapestry sewn in the late 12th century telling the tale of William the Conqueror, and it is 70 meters long. It is pretty cool, and very detailed.

No comments: