Friday, July 25, 2008

Cedar City

I went to the Shakespeare Festival again this year in Cedar City. I talked my boss's wife, Choreographer, (who I went to Lake Powell with last year) into going with me. Her mother-in-law came with us to watch Choreographer's little girl, Blue. We left at about ten in the morning on Tuesday. We made pretty good time and our hotel let us check in early, so Mom and Blue stayed while Choreographer and I drove to the festival. We got there right when Fiddler was starting. I asked for student rush tickets, but apparently some people had purchased some tickets and got too many and left the extras at the box office, so we got into Fiddler for FREE!! It was really good. I think the movie is a little slow, but the play moved quickly. My favorite part was the way several of the actors had Brooklyn accents when there Russian accents slipped.
After dinner, we went to see Othello. It was good, but I had really looked forward to this play and it wasn't quite what I was hoping. It was like they were missing something. Maybe it was just an off night.
I woke up early the next morning, because I generally do. I got dressed, went and ate, and then went to the workout room and watched tv for about an hour. I also ran about two miles and spent half an hour on the bike. Then Choreographer came to get me and we went swimming.
We went to see School for Wives by Moliere Wednesday afternoon. I saw this play in France and read it in french for my Moliere class. I liked it better in French. The costumes were seventeenth century France, but the translation was extremely modern (they used words like turd and brain-bot. Brain-bot, seriously?!) So there was a little bit of a juxtaposition with that for me. I didn't like the translation, a lot of stuff got lost. And I didn't like the way they treated the comedy. It was very stylized, which was quite funny, but I really wanted to relate to the characters a bit more. So that was a little disappointing, but Choreographer really liked it, so maybe I'm just a theater snob (duh).
The last show we saw was Two Gentlemen of Verona. I think that was my favorite of the ones we saw. You could tell the actors had fun doing it and it was fun to watch. The plot is a little bit frivolous, with love triangles and mistaken identities and everything is easily wrapped up in five minutes, but it is always such a fun ride. The two servants were hilarious. The one who was also in School for Wives was probably my favorite.
I really would have liked to see Taming of the Shrew as well, but we didn't have time. We wouldn't have gotten home until about seven or eight on Thursday, and that woudln't have worked for us. I might try again later when I drive down to California or something.
Small world, I saw my neighbors down there.

No comments: